68. By giving the government unlimited powers, the most arbitrary rule can be made legal; and in this way a democracy may set up the most complete despotism imaginable.
- F. A. Hayek – The Road to Serfdom, 1944
70. History shows us how to behave. History teaches, reinforces what we believe in, what we stand for, and what we ought to be willing to stand up for. History is – or should be – the bedrock of patriotism but the real thing, Love of country.
- David McCullough – Why History?, 1933-Present
71. Learning about our country’s history will make you understand what it means to be an American. And being American is a privilege. People all over the world wish that they, too, could be American. Why? Because we are a nation that is trying to be fair to all our citizens….The more you study history, the more you will realize that nations are not the same. Some are better than others. Does that seem like an unfair thing to say? Maybe, but we believe it.
- Joy Hakim – A History of US, 1993